MDDC’s Reese Cleghorn internship program supports college-student journalists by providing experience, training and mentoring in newsrooms in Maryland, Delaware or District of Columbia through 8-week paid summer internships (total compensation for each intern is at least $3,760 for the 8-week program).
Apply for an internship September 15 – November 15.
Students with a strong career interest in print journalism (and associated platforms) who have completed a college-level course in one of these areas or have equivalent experience on a college or community publication. Open to undergraduates either:
- attending any Maryland, Delaware, or the District of Columbia four-year college/university, OR
- a resident of Maryland, Delaware or District of Columbia attending a four-year college/university elsewhere
- Applicants must have the use of an automobile during the internship and be living within a reasonable driving distance of their assigned news media organization.
- Assignments will be made to participating news media organizations as near as possible to the residences of the selected applicants.
- Samples of published journalism, copy editing or photojournalism are required.
- Assignment to a particular organization will be subject to the approval of the editor.
Submitting an Application
- The open period to submit an application is September 15 – November 15.
- To submit an application, click here.
Items to gather prior to submitting the online application:
- 300-word essay describing your interest in a print journalism (and associated platforms) career
- 3 Professional references:
- References are due by the application deadline.
- One reference must be a professor.
- One reference should be a faculty advisor (preferred) or editor of a college news organization.
- Please provide this link to your references: https://form.jotform.com/62803492846160
- References from fellow students or relatives will not be accepted.
- For Copy Editor or Reporting applicants, 3-5 samples of your news writing:
- Must use PDF file type
- Published with your by-line or verification from editor
- Work submitted for credit in college news writing course may be used in lieu of published writing samples (please specify course, instructor, where course was taken).
- For Photojournalism applicants:
- 5+ photographs made on a newspaper or classroom assignment
- Writing samples (if desired, not required)
Finalists for internships will be notified via email and must attend an in-person or Zoom interview with the Intern Selection Committee in late December or early January.
Please contact Rebecca Snyder with any questions.
The internship program is supported by the Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Foundation and the Delaware Community Foundation. For more information on the Press Foundation, please click here.